Recently I read an article entitled “The top ten biggest problems on earth according to secular society” The article listed the following as the top ten problems:
10. Species Extinction
9. Radical Islam/Terrorism
7. Nuclear Proliferation
6. Malnutrition and Hunger
5. Global Water Crisis
4. Global Population Growth
3. Peak Oil/Energy Consumption
2. Global Economic Collapse
1. Global Warming
The author closed with “While most of these represent an actual problem (I’m convinced one or two aren’t problems at all), I don’t believe any represent the biggest problem in the world…Not even close.” This was followed by a stream of comments whose general sentiments was these problems are the world’s problems, God’s in control, God is going to take care of everything, blah, blah, blah.
I got mad.
I always get mad when people bury their heads in the sand to the problems of the world using the “God in control” line of thinking. What they seem to forget is God put us in charge! He entrusted the care of this world to man. It is God’s earth, his people, his water, his animals….and we are out of line by not protecting them and taking care of them.
When I was researching for my book “10 Reasons Christians Should Care About What They Eat” I found several verses that confirm that.
- The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it (Genesis 2:15).
- The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it (Psalms 24:1).
- …the land is mine and you reside in my land as foreigners and strangers (Leviticus 25:23).
- I brought you into a fertile land to eat its fruit and rich produce. But you came and defiled my land and made my inheritance detestable (Jeremiah 2:7).
- The nations were angry; and your wrath has come. The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great — and for destroying those who destroy the earth. (Revelation 11:18)
If I got a vote, I would say the biggest problem facing the earth today is God’s people are not handling their responsibility of taking care of his earth.